What does motivation feel like?

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Krissy

What does motivation feel like?

Postby Krissy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:54 pm

I always find myself looking at people and wondering what it feels like to be energized and motivated. It looks like it feels so great. They seem to get up in the morning and do whatever it is that they have to do, without hesitation or question. Other people seem to always have something to talk about. They always have plans and things to do.

I find myself in awe of all of this because I don't even feel the motivation to get dressed and brush my teeth. I wish I could just gather up some energy, silence my endless stream of mental excuses, and do things.

JonsDragonEyes

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:05 am

I'm not sure I'm having a pretty tough time with that myself. But you know what ? We can't give up. We gotta keep trying.

I'm sorry your going through such a tough time Krissy. In a situation where I'm going through the same as you it's hard to say the right thing to make everything okay. I sure wish I could. If it helps any please know your not alone at all !!

If we keep trying though , who knows what can happen. :) Maybe someday we will be GIVING advice on how to be motivated instead of asking !!

Hang in there okay !! ( hugs )

Ieris

Postby Ieris » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:19 am

The first thing that came to mind was that it is like having a craving but it is also important to know what it is that you crave and how to satisfy that craving. If one is not energized or motivated to get it then I guess they don't want or crave it enough.

~

I like to see life as a journey and when I read up on this topic, things that come up again and again are: passions and core values; I guess they become your compass in life which helps direct you to your goals and dreams (your destination/s). Your strengths and weaknesses determine the route you'll take and your action plan becomes your map. Your car is your tool (your skills/knowledge) and your energy and motivation is your fuel (burning desire). Then there is you the driver who brings confidence and self belief. However, if one needs a little boost they can always get a GPS/TomTom (teacher/life coach) to keep them on track.

The OPs post focused on energy and motivation, but I think you need to put a few of those pieces together in order to start moving.

Having all those elements only makes your life an easy ride. If one does nothing about their life, they end up becoming a passenger and having no say in where life takes them. So one important question people need to ask themselves is whether they want to be a driver or a passenger.

x

HeatherFeather

Postby HeatherFeather » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:10 am

Ooo, if anyone else can offer up an answer to Krissy's question that would be fantastic! I too wonder what motivation truly feels like—because I DO have passions, goals, values, etc. But even these things don't motivate me enough to do/get/accomplish them. Making a list and breaking it down doesn't work, talking about my intentions with friends doesn't work, having my therapist help me map out a timeline doesn't work, none of it works because I know it starts with me.

So I'm totally with you Krissy—What the heck does motivation feel like? What does hope look like? Why do I question EVERY single action I make, like just doing the dishes?! How do the "normal" motivated people ignore the negative thoughts?

Any takers? :wink:

hazeleyes

Postby hazeleyes » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:34 pm

I too struggle with all these things! It's sooo frustrating! I dream, I hope, I plan, I even visualize. And still I can't seem to take that first step, whether it's a big step or a tiny one. I love to walk, especially hiking trails. And I kept saying towards the end of winter that as soon as the weather is nice I'm going to start walking. Well, here it is, almost fall and guess how many times I've walked? A big fat ZERO! And like you said, simple things, like brushing my teeth, washing dishes, making dinner, even sometimes going to the bathroom!! They just sometimes seem like humongous chores! I agree, any advice on how to overcome this would be very welcome!

Ayrton Senna

Postby Ayrton Senna » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:58 pm

My boss at work thinks that I'm a part of his activity, my family members think that I'm a son, a cousin, a nephew, a grandson etc. Actually I'm just a pawn. And I can't have any motivation because I'm just a part of the others' lives. They want something, they are glad when something goes well, they are upset when something is wrong. I don't care. I got tired.

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi you all,
I may be the Queen of lack of energy/motivation! I'm practically a couch potato...somewhat living life vicariously through what I see on the tv screen. Embarrassing!

There are my health issues that prevent me from being too active, but I don't understand my motivational lack in the simplest of activities. I know it's not "laziness," because I do have the inner desire to do more. It's just so tough to make my body follow my suit!
I, too, wonder how others have the motivation to just DO without a second thought. It doesn't make me feel any better when I meet people who are 20 plus years my senior and whiz around like...a balloon that's blown up and released!

Maybe it's that my life's been so chaotic and I need to simply heal. To rest. It's like I'm in stall mode, and it's so hard to budge most of the time.
I can only hope and pray that it isn't always this way.

It's like wanting to be that butterfly that's fluttering around in the sunlight, but until I'm ready to fly, I'm stuck in a constrictive cocoon.

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:40 pm

To make "my body follow suit," not "my body follow my suit." Hopefully, somebody got a good laugh out of that typo. :-)

creaker

Postby creaker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:49 pm

I think Ieris and Ayrton Senna's points together may be a key... when being a follower in everything, motivation is kind of not needed.

I myself have found that if I am playing the role of leader for something, where other people are looking to me for guidance, my motivation shoots up high.

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:11 pm

I agree, creaker.
It's usually when someone needs me and is counting on me for help that I find myself motivated. And, often times, love is the driving force for me.

Ayrton Senna

Postby Ayrton Senna » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi there! Nice to see you 4EverMe!
Ieris wrote:whether they want to be a driver or a passenger.

There is a lot of drivers for the same car and they are driving to the opposite directions.

I feel myself rather as a puppet than as a passenger. A puppet with several masters that are arguing with each other. They are fighting for my flesh like jackals while I'm not able to say a word. My energy level is tooooo low.

Sorry for my childish thoughts.

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:35 pm

It's nice to see you too, Ayrton. :-)

Please don't apologize. Your thoughts aren't childish. They mirror the truth that you feel deep within. You spoke with honesty.

Forget

Postby Forget » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:08 pm

I am currently depressed because of my situation but I never used to be (at least not like this). I used to be motivated and I feel like a part of it was because I was happy, but also people who encouraged me and who took the time to appreciate me helped motivate me (like at work). I also just had something inside of me that wanted to do the best I could. I've lost my reason for being happy and the people now at work don't appreciate me anymore so it's very hard to be motivated again.

I am Larry

Postby I am Larry » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:43 pm

Motivation feels like a deep mountain stream, small at first, sliding a gradual slope through fir and pine, huckleberry bushes, and wild underbrush green, brown, thick. Picking up speed, cutting a wider path, bouncing over rocks, fallen tree trunks that try but can not plug up the mounting rush of clear water. On and on, it flows and grows from stream to river deep for trout and salmon. Unstoppable now, twisting around large boulders, making new paths to speed along free, unencumbered, never deterred. The river does not fear the tangled forest, it has become part of the tangled forest, welcomed, at home and comfortable with itself growing, growing, merging with larger and older rivers making a web of water flowing to far away ocean.

Well, that I imagine motivation might feel like.

Dane1228

Motivation

Postby Dane1228 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:57 pm

Krissy, I am in the same position. I watch people go about their day and their errands and think - "how do they do that?" i can't even find a hobby because nothing interests me at all. i did get a 30 day gym membership and made myself go at least 12 of the 30 days and I felt better. But then I get home and now what do I do? I am single, no friends in this city, and actually feel very selfish thinking about how depressed I am.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”