Is there help for me?

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

goingincircles

Is there help for me?

Postby goingincircles » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:05 pm

Hello..I'm new to message boards etc but I'm happy I came across this one. I am hoping I can get a few answers to the torment I have been feeling over the years. I just recently came to terms with the "idea" that I could "possibly" be depressed. I believe I have felt depressed for many years however, just over the past year it is really interfering with my work, marriage and relationships with others. I want it so badly to go away. I have been able to "keep it under control" in the past but I feel like I can't control the anxiety, occasional sadness, the worst irritable moods and major self esteem issues (at times). It is harder and harder to control stress. Things that don't stress others out really get under my skin. I am completely drained by the end of the day. I have been on Zoloft briefly about 7 years ago and it really didn't help me. I don't want to be on medication and feel numb all the time. I'm not sure what my alternatives are though. Not sure where to turn...I feel like I'm going out of my mind. Thank you for listening.

hollyann

Postby hollyann » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:00 am

Hi Goingincircles. Pleased to meet you. Coming to terms and admitting there is a problem is a good step in the right direction. Unfortunately there is not an instant cure for depression. Though I admit it would be nice to have it gone "now". Truth is that with most of us we didn't get like this over night, so it's going to take more than over night to fix it. Some people do counseling/therapy. Some do medicine, and some do a combination of both. Please know there are so many different kinds of medicine for this out there that they will not make you feel the same way necessarily. Also if a medicine is making you feel numb all the time, then its probably not a right one. These medicines aren't supposed to make you feel numb. Or to totally stop you from feeling things. Its just they usually stop you from feeling the extremes. Also if you are having anxiety problems, staying away from caffiene and energy drinks can help (if you drink them). And maybe try some relaxation excercises.

hollyann

FindingWings

Hi GoinginCircles

Postby FindingWings » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:54 am

Everything you said is like hearing myself describe my relationship with depression. I think this forum is great for us to talk to each other because in the outside world you saying that stress affects you more then it does them is just a roll of the eyes and a this chick is crazy look. They probably think we should get over ourselves. But it's so true, those feelings are true and they do affect us differently. I know I feel like I'm not even functioning at 100% to be hit with some of the stresses of the day so it's like being thrown a fast ball and not being ready or anticipating it coming. I have found it easier though to talk to others who share the same feelings and problems because THEY understand, we speak the same language. Sometimes a person has to experience things before they can understand what others feel like. I have my mother who supports me 100%. I don't think she knows all my thoughts, fears, and day to day struggles but man she does one hell of a job lifting me up when I am down. She's my reason for pushing forward. I do think we need that support and I would love to support you in any way I can. It's good having people to talk to so if you ever need an ear I'm here. I hope you can find some answers here on different meds to try or things that have worked for others. Maybe they can help all of us a little and give us something to try. Take Care :)

shatteredhopes

Postby shatteredhopes » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:27 pm

(((((((((Goingincircles)))))))))))(that's a hug) Oh I so understand about the little things getting under your skin. Do you know I have cried because the bagger at the grocery store put the bread on the bottom under something heavy and the bread got smushed? Do you know it takes me two days and medication just to pay monthly bills, even though I have the money and stamps it just totally stresses me out! You are not alone. I think many of us with anxiety and depression lose it over the little things. It can be overwhelming.

((((((Holly))))))) is right that maybe you could try a different med and defintely a good therapist can make a world of difference for many. Talking about problems sometimes helps too, whether here or journaling or with your mother. I am glad you have your mother. I have my elderly disabled mother and she is my reason for hanging on. She's very good to me even though she doesn't know everything I deal with or have been through and doesn't really understand, sometimes just being with her and her making a homecooked meal for me lifts me up and comforts me.

Find whatever little pleasures you can to soothe yourself when you can. It becomes hard sometimes to enjoy anything when in the worst place, but sometimes I can just appreciate little moments to hang onto. Recently I was at my mom's and we were eating and looked out the window and there were deer wandering around in her backyard. It was so peaceful and beautiful. I like my coffee and cigars, a friend who makes me laugh, old movies with happy endings I watch over and over again like an old friend that lifts me up. Hot baths feel like a warm hug and if I put bubbles in it sometimes makes me feel like a kid again and suspends the grief and pain I feel for a few minutes. I don't know what little things do that for you, but whatever simple pleasures you can find endulge when you can to comfort yourself.

Do you do anything creative? Like play or listen to music and sing along? Paint? Write poetry? Garden? Something that allows you to express yourself creatively can be very helpful I have found.

Do you have any hobbies or things you feel passionate about like a charity or cause or politics or faith? A dream or goal? That can be a big help too.

I hope you can get therapy, and meanwhile I look forward to your posting more here and getting to know you better. Maybe I'll see you in the chatroom too. The chatroom can be nice at times to get a room full of advice from different perspectives and just to be around others and sometimes people joke around and it can be uplifting.

Glad you are here with us. Wishing you light and peace in your day and sending big hugs.

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:14 am

((( shatteredhopes ))) so smart there girl! Thank you for all the support you give everyone in here. You are very loved and very appreciated.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”