depression - a lack of serotonin!!???

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

getawayfromitall

depression - a lack of serotonin!!???

Postby getawayfromitall » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:15 am

Hey every one.
Im new to this.... Apparently lack of serotonin is the cause of depression, so I have been told by many nurses and doctors. So if this is the case why is it that they can relate it to a bad childhood or a loss in the family ect. I dont understand this. I have been suffering a year and a half now and if I honest I had a feeling I would.[/i]

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:49 am

Not everyone will have the same cause. Sometimes it is something as simple as a chemical imbalance and easily treated. Sometimes it's more to it. That's why not one method will work for everyone.

Hayzell

Postby Hayzell » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:23 pm

Sometimes biological factors to depression simply give a person a greater chance of developing depression or in some cases a predisposition to it. In most cases it takes added elements such as stress or a difficult upbringing for the illness to develop.

This is why a lot of therapists combine of medical and talking treatments for depression: medical for things such as chemical imbalances and talking treatments to help overcome the social element which triggered it.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”