10 Ways to Help Someone with Depression

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

bartelby

10 Ways to Help Someone with Depression

Postby bartelby » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:29 pm

It is hard being around someone with depression. Well, I guess it must be. Being on the depressed side of the mirror, I can only assume. But to be able to answer the question “How Do You Help Somebody with Depression?” one needs to know how it feels to live with depression.

I’ve been struggling with depression for a long time. And at first, my family and “friends” wasn’t the best help I could get. In fact, in the beginning, my knowledge of depression was just basic. As I gathered more information about my mental disorder, I’ve learned how to deal with other people and how I wanted to be treated. In this post, I will list a few items that might hopefully help people who have a friend or family member with depression.

Learn more about depression
    Don’t Be Extra Nice
    Get Ready to Do Nothing, Together
    Avoid Stereotypical Conversation
    Watch for Unwanted Scenarios
    Don’t Take It Personal
    Encourage Physical Activity
    Don’t Be a Babysitter
    Don’t Let Them Isolated
    Help Build a Routine

Let me know if there's anything that we can add to the list.

Regina Quirion

Re: 10 Ways to Help Someone with Depression

Postby Regina Quirion » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:04 am

I’ll like to add one more. Having a pet is a brilliant option to manage depression. Animals have that relaxing vibe about them. Like I don’t know if you’ve observed or not, animals are great stress busters. When you spend time with them, it’s always a happy time. Depression patients are often lonely and feel ignored. So when an animal comes in your life it pampers you with its attention and you feel in demand. That brings a positive change in you and helps you get out of depression.

Spleefy

Postby Spleefy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:08 am

Great list. I like that your list promotes taking a proactive approach to depression.

I would also add to the list encouraging healthy eating habits and nutrient therapy. Tragically, drug therapy (although it has its place) often displaces common sense and an appreciation of a proper diet. Nutrients (e.g., folate, tryptophan, omega-3, B and C cvitamins, zinc, and magnesium) are involved in the synthesis of neurotransmitters, so a diet rich in these nutrients should be promoted.

I would also encourage formal support from a naturopath, as naturopaths take a holistic approach to depression, taking into account your physical, mental, emotional, and social well-being.

There are a host of reasons one should consider a naturopath. A few of the key features of a naturopath that I find indispensable as a therapy option is that treatments are individualized, they will deal with the underlying cause of depression (not just merely manage symptoms), and promote autonomy (unlike drug therapy that tends to promote dependency). As I said, drug therapy has its place, but it is about being an informed consumer and exploring the options that we have at our disposal.

I would also add to the list the possibility of accepting God into our lives and his offer of friendship. As written in Matthew 5:3: "Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need." All we need to do is just "taste and see that Jehovah is good; Happy is the man who takes refuge in him."--Psalm 34:8. Millions of people can testify to this, myself included. My life has had many positive and lasting changes ever since I took refuge in Jehovah God. So it is definitely something for the wise to consider.

I also like Regina’s pet therapy suggestion. I had cats in the past while I was depressed. In retrospect, they were very much a lifeline. They gave me tremendous comfort and love (well, sorta. Most cats love you as long as there is food there lol). But it helped me tremendously, more than I realized at the time.

I have actually recently been thinking seriously about getting a dog. I’m researching breeds to find one that will be compatible with my personality and lifestyle, and I’ll see if I can rescue said breed from an animal shelter. Who knows, I might fall in love with a random from the shelter. Animals are definitely therapeutic!

Thanks again for sharing your experiences with depression. I have no doubt that people can use the items in your list to research and explore in more detail.

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:27 am

bartelby wrote:It is hard being around someone with depression. Well, I guess it must be. Being on the depressed side of the mirror, I can only assume. But to be able to answer the question “How Do You Help Somebody with Depression?” one needs to know how it feels to live with depression.

I’ve been struggling with depression for a long time. And at first, my family and “friends” wasn’t the best help I could get. In fact, in the beginning, my knowledge of depression was just basic. As I gathered more information about my mental disorder, I’ve learned how to deal with other people and how I wanted to be treated. In this post, I will list a few items that might hopefully help people who have a friend or family member with depression.

Learn more about depression
    Don’t Be Extra Nice
    Get Ready to Do Nothing, Together
    Avoid Stereotypical Conversation
    Watch for Unwanted Scenarios
    Don’t Take It Personal
    Encourage Physical Activity
    Don’t Be a Babysitter
    Don’t Let Them Isolated
    Help Build a Routine

Let me know if there's anything that we can add to the list.

Depression doesnt work in the same way for everybody. For example one person, can suffer one symptom of depression and another person can suffer another symptom. It would mean that both people have depression but are experiencing different symptoms. I would say love people but set boundaries.

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”