Cheating, Depression and Cymbalta - Any Advice?

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

MiMi0621

Cheating, Depression and Cymbalta - Any Advice?

Postby MiMi0621 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:10 am

I'm new to this forum, but am quite desperate for advice on how I can better help my 35 year old daughter.

Long story short: My daughter's husband cheated on her 10 months ago. They have been married for over 8 years and have two beautiful children. My daughter was completely devastated when this happened and it threw her into an instant depression. She has probably gained 20 lbs since this time, feels horrible about the way she looks, and has very low self esteem. My daughter has become a completely different person since this happened. She is still with her husband and has vowed to do everything within her power to make this marriage work. My husband and I support her 100%. Although his actions cause me to say he's a horrible husband, he is a wonderful father to my grandkids. I can't even imagine what would happen to the kids if they were to separate; the kids are so attached to both of them. After this happened, I convinced my daughter to go talk to someone about her depression. Her physician prescribed her Cymbalta, which she's been taking for about 9 months now. It definitely controlled her mood swings - she was able to function again. However, I'm very concerned now about her becoming addicted to it. My daughter is traveling on business and forgot her meds, so it's been 2 days since she has had them, but she's feeling very uneasy (not sleeping, tingling everywhere, very anxious, etc.). I did some research on this drug, and it has me a bit frightened. I guess because she's having withdrawal effects, she's "addicted" to this drug?

Does anyone have experience with how to get off of this drug safely? I've never been one who believed in taking a pill to mask feelings, so this really has me uneasy. I want to do what I can to support my daughter - but I feel it's time she start dealing with her feelings instead of taking a pill to mask them.

I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thank you.
Last edited by MiMi0621 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anxietywife

Re: Cheating, Depression and Cymbalta - Any Advice?

Postby Anxietywife » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:29 am

It is addictive. They are withdraw effects. My husband took a year to get off this medication and went through hell. We had to taper off from 60mg 5% at a time. Till the was one tiny bead left in the capsule. Staying at each drop 2 weeks or more at a time.

Regina Quirion

Postby Regina Quirion » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:13 am

It is important to continue taking this medication as prescribed even if you feel well. Do not stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor. As some conditions may become worse when this drug is suddenly stopped. Consult your doctor for the same. You can also tell her if she can have a pet. They are also helpful in reducing stress and getting you out of any depression. See what works for her.

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:58 am

MiMi0621 wrote:I'm new to this forum, but am quite desperate for advice on how I can better help my 35 year old daughter.

Long story short: My daughter's husband cheated on her 10 months ago. They have been married for over 8 years and have two beautiful children. My daughter was completely devastated when this happened and it threw her into an instant depression. She has probably gained 20 lbs since this time, feels horrible about the way she looks, and has very low self esteem. My daughter has become a completely different person since this happened. She is still with her husband and has vowed to do everything within her power to make this marriage work. My husband and I support her 100%. Although his actions cause me to say he's a horrible husband, he is a wonderful father to my grandkids. I can't even imagine what would happen to the kids if they were to separate; the kids are so attached to both of them. After this happened, I convinced my daughter to go talk to someone about her depression. Her physician prescribed her Cymbalta, which she's been taking for about 9 months now. It definitely controlled her mood swings - she was able to function again. However, I'm very concerned now about her becoming addicted to it. My daughter is traveling on business and forgot her meds, so it's been 2 days since she has had them, but she's feeling very uneasy (not sleeping, tingling everywhere, very anxious, etc.). I did some research on this drug, and it has me a bit frightened. I guess because she's having withdrawal effects, she's "addicted" to this drug?

Does anyone have experience with how to get off of this drug safely? I've never been one who believed in taking a pill to mask feelings, so this really has me uneasy. I want to do what I can to support my daughter - but I feel it's time she start dealing with her feelings instead of taking a pill to mask them.

I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thank you.

I would give some sound advice, on how i personally deal with medication but its not what a doctor would say. Just be emotionally supportive, Communicate with her and over time you will help her in big ways. She should speak to her doctor about how to ease off them. Its possible, However its only been 9 months some people take medication for years and years. I agree with you on what you say last. About dealing with her feelings. She should continue taking pills until she she confident in herself and her life. She needs alot of emotional support, if she truly wants it to work she has to forgive her husband. Let go of the past and restore the broken bond between herself and her family.

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”