Greetings

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

happymob

Greetings

Postby happymob » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:20 pm

I'm 47. Probably suffering from depression for 35 or so of those years on or off. Suffering now, hence the registration and posting.

For the last 17 years I've also been an alcoholic. I've used alcohol to cover up my depression.

In the past month, I've been drinking 2 to 3 times a week (as opposed to 0 times a week for a decent time prior to that). I also have been feeling more depressed, though I don't know if that causes the drinking or is a result of the drinking, but that is where I am.

I know I have have hurt people close to me with my drinking, and that has a tendency to lead me more into depression, but I also know that my spouse is, despite being hurt by my drinking, very supportive of me, and for that I am grateful.

So that's me, at the moment.

"happymob", despite being not "happy" most of the time.

Spleefy

Re: Greetings

Postby Spleefy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:19 am

Hi happymob,

Welcome, and thank you for introducing yourself. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through another down period in your life. It's great to hear that you have a supportive partner during troubled times. We all need to be loved and supported and to be able to give it back. I'm sure you'll find some people on here you can talk to when you need.

Things will look up again :)

Laura93

Postby Laura93 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:10 pm

Hello happymob,
I'm sorry to hear that. I know that sometimes going through the day is really hard and we feel like we have to "cover" our emotions in order to feel better even for just a few hours.
I think you have to think about your spouse, because your alcoholism can really hurt the one you love. I suggest you to seek help for that issues, sometimes support group can help a lot.
I wish you and your family the best!

KimmyO

Postby KimmyO » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:16 am

I'm sorry to hear of your depression. Yes, drinking is a terrible spiral, it causes more depression and problems and then because of that, a person drinks more.Do what you can do stop, at least for today, say that every day and before you know it, it will be many days w/o it and you will feel better and things will improve. It takes work and patience, grace with yourself, don't punish yourself or beat yourself up if you fail one day, every day is a good day to start fresh and forget the past, focus on wins. Also taking magnesium and ginseng will help a lot since it calms the mind body and spirit and gets rid of sticky negative thoughts. Another way to help is taking epsom salt baths. They are great to cleanse the body and mind. help other will help you too. Talk to a therapist, many churches offer it free and it is good to talk w someone who can help focus you and encourage you. <3

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:44 am

happymob wrote:I'm 47. Probably suffering from depression for 35 or so of those years on or off. Suffering now, hence the registration and posting.

For the last 17 years I've also been an alcoholic. I've used alcohol to cover up my depression.

In the past month, I've been drinking 2 to 3 times a week (as opposed to 0 times a week for a decent time prior to that). I also have been feeling more depressed, though I don't know if that causes the drinking or is a result of the drinking, but that is where I am.

I know I have have hurt people close to me with my drinking, and that has a tendency to lead me more into depression, but I also know that my spouse is, despite being hurt by my drinking, very supportive of me, and for that I am grateful.

So that's me, at the moment.

"happymob", despite being not "happy" most of the time.

It sounds like the drinking is not causing the depression, it is what you use/do to cope with it. You need to stop drinking it can affect your moods and make you do things that would be foolish. Being drunk has alot of problems to it. Talk to your spouse and confide in her, find another way to cope with depression. Working out at a gym is a very good stress reliever.

Return to “New Member Introductions”