Losing Hope

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

IcePrincess082

Losing Hope

Postby IcePrincess082 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:02 am

Good morning, everyone.

I'm new to this website. I'm 37 and reside in the Northeast, United States.

I've been dealing with depression, anxiety, social anxiety, panic attacks and PTSD for a solid 20 years. I feel like I've tried everything to improve myself: counseling, crisis intervention, changing medications, exercise, eating healthy, meditation, positive thinking, journaling.

Nothing seems to help anymore. Most of the time I find myself sleeping all day, awake all night watching YouTube, and eating. It's getting to the point where I'm scared to leave the house. I feel like it's getting harder for me to pick myself back up.

I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like I'm losing hope.

Spleefy

Re: Losing Hope

Postby Spleefy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:33 am

Hi IcePrincess082,

It’s fantastic that you have been proactive and tried a variety of coping strategies.

In my case, I found that counseling had limited impact because my neurochemistry was out of whack. I have tried journal writing, too. But that had no effect because all I did was just write about how miserable I was and thus strengthened that feeling.

What worked for me was to change what I was focusing on. Rather focusing on trying to overcome depression, I instead focused on health: regular routine, study, healthy diet, and plenty of exercise. This was actually by mistake--i had no idea it would work :shock:

I can’t recall how long it took to overcome the depression, but it was less than a year. All I remember is, one day, realizing that I wasn’t feeling so depressed and suicidal, and I was actually planning for the future.

My diet included salads, vegetables, fruits, fish, nuts and seeds, eggs, legumes, and plenty of fruit/veg smoothies with coconut water and spirulina. I ate fish everyday for omega-3, which we need for healthy brain function and mood. If you don't like the taste of fish, you can just opt for omega-3 supplements. Just be sure to get quality supplements, not the inferior versions such as from supermarkets. https://www.lifeextension.com/search#q= ... lcategory=[Products] this is a link to Life Extension, which sell quality supplements. I am not working on commission for them--I got some supplements from them years ago.

I can’t say if this will work for you, as you also have coexisting conditions that may add to the complexities of your situation. It will also depend on the individual and many other factors, such as support network and environment.

Speaking of environment… this was also pivotal in my healing. I abhor the city (well, at least to live in it), and thrive in rural areas and the wilderness. Once I changed my physical location, I had the perfect environment (for me) to start the healing process.

The city was hindering progress. However, in retrospect, if I applied the same strategy, I think I still would have overcame depression--just at a significantly slower rate. Either way, the city would have kept affecting my mental well-being, so it was absolutely necessary for me to move to an area surrounded by beaches and the forest.

This won’t be possible for everyone. But the point I am making is that, whilst I had no idea how to heal myself from depression, I did know that being close to the bush was the key! The other strategy I mentioned above was based on just taking a chance. I had no idea it would work. I was just so tired of fighting depression that I figured I might as well focus on my health and get into a good routine. Lo and behold, no more depression!

While this sounds too "simplistic", simple is sometimes better. We don't always need complex treatments to treat complex conditions. Leave that for the doctors and pharmaceutical companies that make bank from sickness. Of course, I'm not saying they don't have their place--they absolutely do! But you will find that life is better and more enjoyable when we just simplify it--that is, don't over-complicate things.

In addition, what is great about the strategy that worked for me is that you need to do those things anyway! We all need to eat nutritious foods, exercise regularly, and keep a regular routine in order to be healthy or have any hope of healing! Food and exercise is also a natural antidepressant--more powerful than the synthetic concoctions.

This isn't encouraging one to not take medication. That is something only we can decide for ourselves after speaking to a naturopath and/or a doctor and making an informed decision. I just chose not to have anything to do with doctors or the pharmaceuticals, even psychologists. Psychotherapy didn't work years prior because my neurochemistry was too messed up. I had to first rebalance my neurochemistry before I would be receptive to talk therapy.

Turns out I didn't need psychotherapy after all, since restoring my neurochemistry function automatically made me think more positive. The ONLY reason my perception was distorted and why I was feeling flat, empty, and lifeless, was because of the imbalance in my neurotransmitters, such as serotonin and dopamine.

I studied naturopathy, so i was just using what i was learning to overcome depression. Had I not studied it, I would have just went to see a naturopath. So that is something you might consider. A naturopath will thoroughly examine you and treatments are individualized.

So don’t give up hope. Twenty years is a long time, but you WILL find what works for you. Had I not persevered, I would never have overcome depression and anxiety. Just keep an open mind and heart and be ready to try new things, old things, and everything in between (provided they are not self-destructive), and you will find your strategy and be liberated.

All the best.

reaThua9

Postby reaThua9 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi and welcome. I'm so glad you found us here, and I hope you find help in talking to us. You'll be greeted with only understanding, empathy, and helpful suggestions, never judgement.

Please don't lose hope, I know it feels bleak and overwhelming right now, but better things are just around the corner for you, you have to believe that. You say you've "tried everything," and I read your list, but it sounds like you've tried everything except looking up. By that I mean, if nothing else has worked (from medicine, to meditation, to diet) then maybe the real problem is spiritual? I can't answer this for you, I don't know you or your heart. But I personally know and have experienced that desperate, empty feeling you described -- and for me, my relationship with God is always what brings me peace.

I love the message of this song so much, and I honestly think it might help lift your spirits: https://bit.ly/2KFjx62 He's a great singer and he does all his own backup tracks which is fun to listen to. I actually saw him perform live and he used a loop pedal to make a solo acapella mix on stage. So either way I hope you take a few minutes to check out the video because it's pretty cool.

No matter what, I hope you keep sharing with us on this site, I'd love to talk to you more and understand better. You're in my prayers

marylilyhart

Postby marylilyhart » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Hi there,
I'm new to the site, but I relate 1000% to what you've said.
I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, and it started about 20 years ago. I happen to be the same age as you, 37. I have a history of drug abuse and after quitting cannibis a couple of weeks ago, after trying to follow a healthy lifestyle, with daily exercise, tons of supplements including high doses of omega 3's, 5htp and gaba, etc. I'm hopeless. I so badly wanted to stay away from going back on anti depressants, but out of desperation I started again about 3 weeks ago. I am stuck deep in depression. I dont see a future for myself. I grow tired of all the helpful hints and suggestions, because they dont seem to work for me. I have no will to continue this life, but I wouldn't commit suicide for the sake of my family. I am holding on, hoping the anti depressants kick in and make it easier. I'm hoping I'll wake up one day soon and breathe a sigh of relief and feel much better. I'm back to seeing the psychiatrists and psychologists, and I'm holing myself in my room staying away from work, utterly hopeless.
Thanx for sharing your message and letting me share mine.

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:18 am

IcePrincess082 wrote:Good morning, everyone.

I'm new to this website. I'm 37 and reside in the Northeast, United States.

I've been dealing with depression, anxiety, social anxiety, panic attacks and PTSD for a solid 20 years. I feel like I've tried everything to improve myself: counseling, crisis intervention, changing medications, exercise, eating healthy, meditation, positive thinking, journaling.

Nothing seems to help anymore. Most of the time I find myself sleeping all day, awake all night watching YouTube, and eating. It's getting to the point where I'm scared to leave the house. I feel like it's getting harder for me to pick myself back up.

I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like I'm losing hope.

I highly doubt that you can try everything and nothing works. Something will work but it depends on what you do, and how you going about using solutions. You should not just listen to people but take action on what you hear. Always get rid of the doubts you have gotten over what you try.

Return to “New Member Introductions”