New member here-need advice

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

a1exVille

New member here-need advice

Postby a1exVille » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:03 am

Hello. I am here because I suspect i might be depressed. A friend told me about this site so... i thought i'd try. I don't really have the means to get properly diagnosed, but i do fall asleep for days at a time, and fail to even try to turn in assignments on time (or at all). Im in college but i didnt make an effort to be here -my mom pushed me to choose a school fast, i hadnt even looked up colleges yet- I do feel interesed, but i cant seem to focus most of the time and feel nothing when i fail, mostly shame that im not ashamed. I dont feel like this all the time, i have good days, but even then i feel kinda... numb to the world. It mosly means i can fake others' moods.

So, there's that. I don't know.

Jtw

Re: New member here-need advice

Postby Jtw » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:55 am

Congratulations, it sounds like you might have depression. Certainly a lot of things you're saying are unpleasantly familiar, and i'm sure they would be for a lot of people here.
Talking and understanding it helps, so you're in the right place.

j2415

Postby j2415 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:10 pm

Hi A1ex- Sorry if you have these symptoms. Welcome to the forum! Please keep posting and I hope you can learn from others in coping with their depression. Please stay strong. Try to educate yourself about this illness. There are many articles that you can read and learn from it. I hope you can get the help you need to stay well.

You can also try to talk to your local church’s Pastor. He can give you free counselling and inquire also for available life group that you can attend to. It’s good to be surrounded with people who will pray for you and want to see you getting better. You are not alone because we are here and we care for you. You are in my prayers, God bless.

HeatherBliss

Postby HeatherBliss » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:01 pm

Welcome, Alex! So glad you've come where you can receive some friendly support and encouragement. If it is depression as you think it might be, getting evaluated by a doctor or therapist would be beneficial. It would also be helpful to do exactly what you're going now and that is to share what's on your heart by talking to others who can relate to your circumstances and provide positively uplifting conversation. Most have found that living in isolation often does more harm than good and connecting to people is therapeutic and necessary for a healthier mental outlook.

We're here to cheer you on and inspire you to keep going. If you feel the need to speak with a professional counselor right away, there is a number you can call this number, 855-382-5433, for a free exploratory session and to get connected with resources in your area.

Blessings to you my friend and I hope there's a tremendous turnaround for you at school and in life in general! :)

adsteam

Postby adsteam » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:39 am

I am strengthening you through the depression.
slotxo

beyondrepair

Postby beyondrepair » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:19 pm

It sounds like u are in the early stages. Going to college must have triggered it. I have fought this my whole life but did not know what it was. I remember going to the store one day to get ingredients for a dessert. They were out of one item I needed and I had a total meltdown....store spinning, people talking in slow motion. I thought I was going crazy. Go to a Dr to get meds. They can help.

Spleefy

Postby Spleefy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

Hi a1exVille,

Welcome to the forums. I hope since you posted this, you are feeling a lot better.

We cannot say whether or not you have depression without a proper and thorough diagnosis by a qualified person.

I also, especially at this point, wouldn’t worry too much about what label you assign to yourself, whether it is depression or something else.

But it’s good that you did reach out and share a bit about your experiences with other people on here.

Perhaps what might help is to focus on just eating a nutritious and balanced diet (fruit, veg, salads, fish, eggs, meats, etc), plenty of exercise, and adequate sleep (not too much or too little). Take one day at a time, and do small things each day that you can handle and accomplish. Keeping a routine as much as possible is probably your best bet for the time being.

When you get bad feelings, allow the space of them to exist. No need to pretend it isn’t there or to fight it. Just give yourself a chance to feel it for a bit, then let it go the best you can and keep focused on other things. Take deep breathes when you feel down or stressed, and smile a lot—our facial expressions can influence our emotions.

athena.vhd

Postby athena.vhd » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:58 am

hello a1exVille :D
i know maybe it seems a little bit strange but maybe its just a physical disorders like slow heart rate or thyroid hormones.
they effect almost everything!
i just want to help and hope u get better as soon as possible.

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:37 am

a1exVille wrote:Hello. I am here because I suspect i might be depressed. A friend told me about this site so... i thought i'd try. I don't really have the means to get properly diagnosed, but i do fall asleep for days at a time, and fail to even try to turn in assignments on time (or at all). Im in college but i didnt make an effort to be here -my mom pushed me to choose a school fast, i hadnt even looked up colleges yet- I do feel interesed, but i cant seem to focus most of the time and feel nothing when i fail, mostly shame that im not ashamed. I dont feel like this all the time, i have good days, but even then i feel kinda... numb to the world. It mosly means i can fake others' moods.

So, there's that. I don't know.

Sorry to hear about that, You mother should be forcing you to do anything. I dont think it matters about what school you go to though, because most schools offer a range of subjects. I do think you should have talked to a careers adviser first. If you are not happy then discover what you would like to do in life. Start again in a subject if you must. Once you go in a career direction in life, it is really hard to change the tune. Pick wisely.

Return to “New Member Introductions”