Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

lonesome_traveler

Postby lonesome_traveler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:04 pm

Hello. I am new here. I basically joined hoping that this would be a support group of sorts. I've been battling depression and suicidal thoughts for over a decade. I have major depressive episodes that can last for months and then I have times when I'm ok. Right now is one of those episodes. My therapist retired about 2 years ago and I haven't seen anyone since. Currently trying to find one. Feel free to comment. I'd love to have a conversation.

lovingladyo4

Re: new member

Postby lovingladyo4 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:06 am

Hi Lonesome - so nice to meet you. I think you'll find this to be a safe place where you can unload your heaviest burdens with those who understand. All who write here have experienced their peace getting robbed from their lives in one form or another, so to come together to encourage each other can build your hope.

Fighting this kind of battle for over a decade is a long time. Thankfully, there are so many things you can do to help rid your life of this awful monster, and getting to know your body is a good first step.

I was one of those people who lived in complete ignorance about all my body systems (even though I learned about it health class so many years ago), that is, until I came across some information that opened up a whole new world to me - information that has changed me permanently.

I found out that determining the cause of depression in the first place decides what a person needs to do to get well. It could be your genes and chromosomes you were born with, nutrient deficiencies, lack of serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine being manufactured, blocked pathways that prevent neurotransmitters from getting to their destination, diet and lifestyle, childhood experiences that left their memories in your brain, causing you to react now the same way you did as a child, brain waves not firing accurately, a melancholy personality type, broken relationships, grief, unmet expectations, etc.

You can see the numerous reasons someone could be stuck with depression. A functional doctor specializing in endocrinology will take some tests; a saliva test, and blood work, to see what's going on inside your body, and make some conclusions of where to start. Functional doctors do not use drugs which treats the symptoms, but rather they treat the root cause.

Try doing a google search for a functional doctor in your area and call with a list of questions to learn more about the services each one offers.

Therapy with the right therapist can be good, but I feel their treatment would be incomplete at best, meaning there is so much more out there that can help you. A real simple example would something like exercise - you may have zero idea of just how important exercise is and why. Exercise increases serotonin, among other benefits for depression. Magnesium and niacin deficiencies can spiral a person downward leading them to depression. Processed foods destroy hormonal balances, so getting off junk food can help tremendously. Many body products have hormone disruptors in them, so getting off as many of those as possible will help.

And the list goes on. I hope some of this helps!

pam4him

Re: new member

Postby pam4him » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:28 pm

So sorry for the struggle, but glad you found this site. I hope you continue seeking a new therapist. Most of us with depression cycle and can relate to what you have described. Remember your tools from therapy during the hard times. And visit here for encouragement. Prayers for peace and wisdom.

Return to “New Member Introductions”