New here

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

KittySoftpaws

New here

Postby KittySoftpaws » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi, Everyone. I'm new here, looking for others who experience the frustration and discouragement about work that I experience. I drank the koolaid and busted my ass to excel in college only to get into the work world to find that professors didn't know how the non-academic world works...the promises of how important we were to the success of our industry was bunk. Industry could care less! Low wages and ignorance about what my field of study knows and can do was disappointing. Jumping to other industries trying to find respect has failed, too. It feels like everything is stacked against me with the goal of keeping me " in my place". Does anyone else feel this way? Thx.

ImJohn

Re: New here

Postby ImJohn » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:56 pm

Hi there!

You sound like something of an idealist. That's not a bad thing in itself, in fact I think it's a good thing. Unfortunately the world in general and the commercial world in particular is far from perfect. Commerce, as you may have noticed, is driven by money not ideals or academic excellence. So you have a choice, you can get all angry about it, or depressed for that matter, or decide to live by your own values.

There's a way to make just about any job interesting and that is to do it well in your own way as far as you're allowed to. So, for example, I used to work as a software engineer (it was ages ago so don't ask me about modern IT stuff) and I'd try to make sure everything I wrote was perfect and properly commented code. It helped pass the day quickly too. Perhaps I disagreed with the coding standards or the overall design but at least I could make my part elegant/efficient.

Of course if you're really determined to make a difference you can always have a go at running your own business. Then you can do things properly but, to be honest, I think you'll soon find that the need to earn a living will soon wear away any lofty ideals. The challenge is to prove me wrong and come back here in five years time as a multi-millionaire.

Good luck. :D

Return to “New Member Introductions”