Introduction

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

hrhippie

Introduction

Postby hrhippie » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:48 am

I am a 66 year old Vietnam veteran suffering from PTSD, depression and related items. I have had symptoms for the last 40 years, but have only been overwhelmed for the the last 5 years. I have been taking medication and attending talk therapy for the last five years.

The depression comes and goes, mostly comes over the last year or so. I am trying to deal with it with some success, but mostly not so much.

I am hoping discussing openly on this forum will help.

sparks

Re: Introduction

Postby sparks » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi

Welcome. I'm new here too.

Katjie

Postby Katjie » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:27 am

Hello hrhippie

Please read under the heading "Depression, anxiety and panic attacks" and read the post by "TiberiuSahlean" and the comments I, Katjie have given him...he lives in Bucharest, I think and had a very traumatic experience and struggle with other issues as well, like he was diagnose with PTSD as well. Maybe you can talk to each other???

I assume that you have seen the most horrible things and experience great losses etc during your military career and I can just imagine what it could be....

It might affect you all of a sudden at your age, because I think at 66 you might have some thoughts about your mortality....(but it is just what I am thinking, maybe I am right?).

My depression comes from a very young age with an abusive father (I might also have some symptoms of PTSD), afterwards I married a certified psychopath who abused me physically and mentally and has even try to kill me by hunting me with a shotgun. I am a woman who was raped twice by men who I have trusted. My co-workers all my life picked on me and bosses as well, I never discuss my depression with people in my life, because they will judge me as they don't understand. My own mother told me depression is the excuse for lazy people, and trust me she is a very very nice person, but I think that she is telling HERSELF that to cope with her own sadness because of my abusive father (the monster is now deceased for 25 years luckily).

I am very friendly and make a point of smiling at other people first, because you will never know if that person is carrying a big cross themselves. Further on I keep myself busy with hunting down nature and everything beautiful and my pets with a camera and takes lot of pictures to remind myself that there is beauty in this world as well. I used to be an artist, I got compliments about my oil paintings, but all of a sudden I have lost interest in a lot of things and the last time I have painted anything was two years ago, nowadays I don't want to think too much and I have a big personal problem which is taking up all my attention and energy. I am an avid reader about nature/biology/science and astronomy and have a very broad general knowledge about those topics, so at least I can teach other people some things hehe.

Most of us on this forum will regularly experience the "down sides" again, but we talk to each other here and it is the only place I feel safe to discuss my issues...belief me I go in graphic detail on nobody judges me, I feel FREE here!

Please continue talking xox

GarethE

Postby GarethE » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:24 am

Hi. Always ready to chat. Vietnam must have been a gruelling thing.

Return to “New Member Introductions”