Unsure, not really sure what I'm looking for here...

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

df12345

Unsure, not really sure what I'm looking for here...

Postby df12345 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:44 pm

Not really sure where I'm suppose to start with this, I haven't ever written on one of these before, but thought I'd give it a shot.

I've been in a pretty big funk lately, not really sure how else to describe it, but I've just been lonely and down I guess. I think part of it is, that I'm a 2nd year medical student, and almost all of my time is spent alone studying. I have friends, but I just don't have time to see them very often, and there is no time for relationships. So along with living alone it seems compounded sometimes.

I did try asking out a girl I really liked recently, but it didn't work out, and some of the current problems may stem from that.

Not really sure what I'm looking for here, maybe someone who understands?...

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:02 am

Hi there DF & welcome! Feel free to look around & post!

Here are some of my thoughts! (for what it may be worth)

Just wondering with the studying, are there study groups? Do you think something like that would be beneficial to you?

When you say you live alone, do you have next door neighbors?

Have you tried counselling services at your school?

As for the girl, don't worry about it! Someone will come along eventually. If there's something you want to work on in your personal life, you can do so.

(Now, I don't know what was said, but you just do your best, you hear?)

Do you really want to be a doctor or whatever it is you're aim for in school?

If there is no time for relationships & friends, how well are you taking care of yourself? Eating? Sleeping? etc.

These are just some questions to get you started, if you have not already thought of them.

I hope you will post more & let us know what is going on with you.

~Crystal/Onika

shatteredhopes

Postby shatteredhopes » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:35 am

Medical school is so intense and competitive from everything I've heard, which can be anxiety and depression inducing in itself. Rejection and romantic failure hurts and can affect our self-esteem so much, and disappointment of course can lead to depression...Also from other doctors and med students I've talked to there is a special stigma associated with seeking professional help and they often fear threatening their career...

So you have little time, I know, but maybe consider spending a little time with friends as a NECESSITY and budget out at least and hour or two a week to hang out? I think crystal's idea of joining or starting a study group is good...can enable you to socialize while you work...or, even though time is extremely limited, could you find an hour or two every other week to volunteer in a place that is along the theme of your studies like a hospital, nursing home, or free clinic? You have to justify in your mind socializing to some extent as essential to your mental health just like eating and sleeping are to your physical health, and somehow find a way to spend some time with other people...in the long run, your studies will be easier and more productive if you are happier...as I'm sure you know...

Meanwhile, welcome to the forums and I'm sure like me you will find much support and caring here, which helps with the feeling of isolation, that we are all alone...

Wishing you light and peace in your day...

jonathan

Postby jonathan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:24 pm

Welcome Df, we are all here for you in any way you need! You will find we are a great resource for you.

I am a senior in college at the moment, and I'm struggling a lot with making some strong decisions and figuring out who I am in life. I have trouble in social situations and making friends, partially stemming from social anxiety and also a fear of rejection because of some personal stuff. What I've found is we are a lot more critical of ourselves than other people are. School can be a VERY lonely place, even with so many other people around you. It's definitely hard. I'd try Crystal's suggestion and look into study groups. Those are great ways to meet people.

I hope that helps somehow. But know you are not alone and we are here to help in any way we can!

Return to “Your Story”