I can not see any light at the end of the tunnel

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Dan_322

I can not see any light at the end of the tunnel

Postby Dan_322 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:52 am

I have been suffering from anxiety and mild depression for a while but I was always managing it well.

However, now I am closing 40 with no career, although I graduated as a dentist 10 years ago, and since I didn't like it, I went to do all sort of odd jobs and now I have been unemployed for more than 18 months.

I started another business and I failed and lost money for the second time in 3 years.
I had to move to share a small apartment with students, and I can not help but feel sad when I see my friends, some of who are younger than me, having good jobs, advancing in their career, buying cars and apartments and going on vacations, while I am struggling to keep up with my basic monthly costs.

I don't see the point in continuing on this planet anymore, and the only 2 things holding me back from killing myself are my family and the thought of them when they learn about my death, and not having a gun because I want my exit to be fast and as painless as possible.

j2415

Re: I can not see any light at the end of the tunnel

Postby j2415 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:21 pm

Hello- I’m so sorry to hear about your struggles. Welcome to the group!

I pray that you will experience peace as you keep going each day. Please stay strong. I pray that things will go well with you and you will soon find the job you need. I hope to hear from you again, God bless.

papillon

Postby papillon » Thu May 23, 2019 11:40 pm

I am really sorry to hear, that is heartbreaking.

I know it's difficult but try to remember if you are able to get out of bed everyday then you're doing something right.

Spleefy

Postby Spleefy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:39 pm

Hi Dan,

Thank you for sharing your story—it isn’t always easy because, on the one hand it feels good to get it out, but on the other it forces us to confront the things that are hurting us.

It is a heartbreaking story. Although I can’t speak for anyone else, I’m sure most of us currently experiencing, or who have experienced, depression have felt that there is “no light at the end of the tunnel.”

I used to feel the same way with my own life. I was very unfulfilled and felt like I was stagnant, while everybody else was moving along, having a great life, working in good jobs, owning a house, and creating their own families.

This changed when I decided to become a spiritual person, as I could slowly detach myself from the material things of this world and discover I could be happy on less. This was remarkably liberating, and I felt so much lighter. I was more free from the stress, worry and anxiety associated with these materialistic desires along with comparing myself to others.

This doesn’t mean that everybody will want to live a modest life or that they will be happy to just have enough to get by and be comfortable. It requires a new way of thinking, reevaluating our values, and faith--a belief and reason to believe. And faith is especially tested when things in our life are not going so well: financially, emotionally, or physically.

The point is, there are always opportunities to flip the script—we just need faith and the courage to follow that faith.

I hope things have improved for you since you posted, and you find what you are looking for that will give you fulfillment in your life.

Keep safe.

heavyheart38

Postby heavyheart38 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:14 am

I feel the same 43, hate my job, have extreme anxiety trying to talk to my wife about the issues regarding the lack of intimacy we now have, (months of nothing and my "equipment" no longer works), I'd be keen to hear how others have seen the light

Return to “Your Story”