Hello there.

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

katcho

Hello there.

Postby katcho » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:26 am

This is a story about a couple parts of my life.

Life has for the most part been wonderful for me, but I always knew I was a little different than everyone else. I knew that I thought differently, and saw the world in completely different eyes than most people do. Then one day when I was around twelve something completely disastrous happened. At the time and until just over a year ago I have managed to suppress the horrible event in my memory. I came home from a friends one night to see my step father on top of my 10 year old sister. I tried to ignore it, pretend like it didn't happen....

Then one drunken night, bad memories started floating to the surface. I don't remember too much of this night, but that it got a few eyes on me. I am active duty in the US military so I imagine you could understand how any suicidal gesture easily gets eyes on me. :).

What I do remember is suddenly I started crying. A lot. then I went to my barracks room to try calling my sister, who at the time was actually in labor with her son. (pretty odd, eh?). I don't remember much after that, except that I tried to asphyxiate myself...which isn't easy to do when your drunk. The next morning was a blast...it started out with me having words with a Sergeant. I thought that's where it would end. But later that day my platoon sergeant came to tell me he knew about the incident and that I would be placed on suicide watch until the morning when we could get a psych evaluation.

I didn't sleep much during this night. Perhaps because I was constantly being watched, or because perhaps dysthymia had turned into a full blown major depressive episode. The next morning came and we went to the hospital... all the way to the 13th floor (irony is a gas, eh?) where the psychiatrist pretty much said I was good ... (I'll tell you later about my opinion on psychologists and psychiatrists.)

But I wasn't good. Perhaps its because I told him absolutely nothing that he drew that conclusion. Perhaps, however, if he showed an ounce of compassion I would have.

Next week drew on slowly...and miserably...it seemed that everyone around me knew I had problems...that I was broken...

Friday came and I started developing a plan for my next attempt. an overdose on one of the easiest to overdose OTCs available. Fortunately, however, I failed to investigate the side effects of the added sleep agent in the stuff I used, and woke up two or three hours after I ingested 100 of the pills. Stumbling in a stupor of confusion and incoherency. I barely remember parts of this night. I remember two people looking over me as I was put on a stretcher, I remember parts of fighting with the people at ICU, of yanking out the IVs they put in me, and the tube they stuck down my throat. After that they sedated me with Versed though, and I woke up the next morning with a doctor above me asking me what day it was, who was the president, and what my name was.

After two or three days (time is not very relevant when your tied down to a hospital bed and being forced antidotes through a plastic tube stuck in your nose) of being in ICU I was sent to the 13th floor to stay a while in the inpatient ward. (Until monday, so almost a full week I imagine).

This is where I started hating psychiatrists. Mind you I've only seen two, but they are both exactly alike in many areas. The psychiatrist in inpatient had absolutely no compassion. His line of work was exactly that to him -- work.

After my stay at the inpatient ward, I was referred to a psychologist as an outpatient. The psychologist seamed to genuinely care for me as a human being -- not as a number -- not as an entity -- not as something that needed done. Something she wanted to do. She left the hospital before she felt my problems were resolved, and referred me to another psychologist. This guy also showed the same qualities she showed.

Anyways, that's all I have. Thanks for listening. :).

aim

Postby aim » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Hi katcho. That is quite a story you have. I'm so sorry to you and your sister...

Psychiatrists are not the people you talk to, in my opinion. They generally diagnose and give out medication - and that's it. None of them are like "Frasier Crane." They don't normally have therapy practices, and, if they do, they are not that good at it, from what I've seen. I'm glad you saw the psychologist - they, also in my opinion, are caring souls who listen for a living because they do care and want to help people. Therapists are also good for that. So happy that you found not one, but two that you could count on.

Have you spoken to your sister about what happened? Is therapy working for you? Where are you stationed?

You sound much better than the depressed place you fell into when that horrible memory came crashing back at you, and I'm glad to hear it. Also glad that you're still around to tell your story.

Thanks for sharing... :-)

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:00 am

(((((((((((((((( katcho )))))))))))))))))))))

Just a warm hug for you and to let you know your post has been read. Please continue posting, a great way to vent.

Warmie 8)

comiclydepressed

Postby comiclydepressed » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:41 pm

thanks for sharing

Monty

Postby Monty » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:32 pm

Glad to see that you are still in the game katcho.

I wholeheartedly agree with Amy, psychiatrists are just there to dispense drugs. I don't know how things work for you but I see my pdoc for about 30 minutes every three months.

I mostly rely on my counsellors. At last count I have gone through 9. I live in Canada where we have medicare. We are supposed to all have access to healthcare but there are long waiting lists in the mental health field. I was fortunate that I was grandfathered into the system. I started before they had a limited number of visits (usually 10 if you are lucky) that you can have with a counsellor, then you are on your own.

When I am going through a tough time I know that I find a lot of support from depression groups like this, you don't have to spend a lot of time explaining yourself, a lot of us have been there already. Those that have experienced depression are sometimes the best "experts". If we haven't experienced the exact stuff you have we still are around ready to listen.

I have been fortunate to have been in a few, in-person, support groups. Most of the time all we ask for is peace, and someone to listen.

You have that here. Don't stop posting.

aim

Postby aim » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:10 am

Ah peace! Wonderful concept, isn't it? Trying to remember when the last time I had true peace... I wonder if it exists anymore? All I hope for is to get through my days and to be a good person while I'm getting there.

I guess I can say that the only time I feel true peace anymore is when I'm laying around with my boyfriend. No judgments, no worries, just the two of us together. And please understand that this is new for me. He is the first boyfriend that I've ever had that gives me this peace - and I'm 32 years old! Anyone from the past has given me nothing but stress... He's helping me realize that life can be happy when you can share it with someone who truly understands and loves the person that you are.

That's my take on peace, anyway. I hope everyone here can find it... even in small doses it makes life seem more worth fighting for.

Katietron

Postby Katietron » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 am

The thing with psychiatrists is that its not your normal ordinary everyday job - and thats something most of them simply don´t seem understand, not when they choose the profession nor when they are already working as one.

There are some very pleasant exeptions though, I´ve seen them - they are out there:)

What happened was not your fault, it was not your sisters fault - it just happened. And there really is nood good answer to why other than sometimes bad things happen to good people.

And its good you are capable of talking about that, the scary part should be over and at some point you can start making sence and put causes and consequenses in the order. Thats not exactly the right way to say it, but its sort of how it seems to be,

I wish you and your lovely sister the best, I really do.
K.

Monty

Postby Monty » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:00 pm

I suppose like with most emotions, or feelings or whatever you want to call the things that go on inside different words conjure up different reactions in different people. I know that at a lot of times in my life my peace would come when everyone went to bed and I didn't have to cope with them anymore.

For way too many years, I had to try to cope with racing thoughts. I could not turn off my brain so that turned into chronic insomania. I still am not able to sleep (had the problem since pre-1988 with only a few stretches of relief in between) without fairly powerfully addictive drugs. Being a drug induced sleep it isn't the same a sleep that I would get on my own but for me it put me into as peaceful a state as I could hope for.

I am glad Amy that you find true peace with your boyfriend. Having someone in your life that you can just be you, is a feeling I have been fortunate to have.

I have older children who I can be myself with but of course I am their mom, not their friend so there is boundries that all have to respect and places we can't go in our relationships. Pretty well all of my life I have had to be a caretaker for my mother and I want to make sure that I stay way, way far from getting close to that point with my kids.

I do have good friends though. I am in my 50's, and they have only been in my life for about 3 years, I moved. They are the kind of friends that are there for you, whenever you need them. I know that I have had some pretty tough day, and been able to go over to one of their houses, and been able to just let things go. That is peace for me to. To be with those who put up with all my oddities, but still hang in there.

Suffering from depression for so many years though has meant that I have been in contact with some wonderfully, strong women. Where I live the mental health system has provided facilitated groups for those of us with severe mental illness issues. Often those of us with depression are seen to be one of the weakest links in society, but nothing could be more wrong in a lot of cases.

The stories of some of them is truly horrific and when I see the looks in their eyes I so badly wish I could give it to them.

That is why it gives me such a great deal of hope to be involved in this depression discussion group. I can see people that are so obviously struggling but there are others out there that are making sure that they know that, there is somone out there listening and giving suggestions how to help. To me that is activily out there trying to give others some measure of peace.

aim

Postby aim » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:13 pm

hello again all! Monty - I'm so happy for you that you've had a person you can be yourself with who did give you peace. Like I said, this is my first experience with this, so I was particularly shocked that he had that affect on me!

Monty - you seem like a wonderful person with a lot to offer not only the world, but this site in particular. You are one of those strong people you talk about, and your family, friends and this forum are lucky to have you. I'm glad you're here!!!

Monty

Postby Monty » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:58 pm

Thanks Amy, reading your post actually gave me goosebumps.

Until fairly recently, I have been an extreme introvert. Once when I was in hospital, and it pisses me off to this time, some professional felt that they need to teach me "how to be a person".

That happened many years ago, but has stuck in my craw since then. I just needed the people around me that we able to build me up, instead of taking turns at knocking me down. Their "class" (I do like quotation marks, don't I) didn't do anything for me, other than making me feel like more of an outsider.

We need to stick together. Everyone needs to feel that they need to have someone watching their back.

Go Team.

(I end my posts with this because it is my strong belief that the feeling of belonging is one of the basic human needs, along with food and shelter. Am not trying to be a cheerleader, just emphasize that we are all in this together.None of us needs to feel like they are standing alone)

aim

Postby aim » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:26 pm

That's implorable that someone actually said that to you! Only a "professional" who thinks they are above someone would tell you something like that!!! So glad that stupid comment filled you with anger, Monty. And glad it still does. One of the keys to surviving in this world, in my opinion, is appropriate anger. And yours is definitely appropriate.

I agree that people ought to stick together, Monty. That's why this forum and the chat room connected to it work so well. We are all people who suffer from a horrible illness - not LESS than a person. Unity is a great thing, Monty. The people on here can learn a lot from you... please keep coming back!

I like the ellipsis ... and the dash - a lot myself!!!

katcho

Postby katcho » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:30 pm

@Amy: I have sort of spoke to my sister about what happened. I haven't seen my psychologist for some time now, but I've realized that I have more important things to do than just kill myself... I am stationed on Ft Gordon, a small army base in Augusta Georgia. I haven't and probably will never find this peace you speak of. To me it is still just that -- a concept. Plus I can't conjure myself to feel intimacy with another person...

@Monty: This forum (and the chat room as well) are my first "support group." The people here seem pretty kind and understanding so far, as you seem to imply.

@Katie: No offense meant, but I have heard that phrase more than once before. I still blame myself, and I probably always will.

aim

Postby aim » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:49 pm

Hi katcho - so glad you're still around and posting. I'm sorry you feel that you will never find any peace... I pray that you do. It wasn't too long ago that I felt that there was no peace for me either. And, to tell you the truth, it's not often there, but I just try to grab it every chance I get.

I've begun to believe that life is a series of moments, as opposed to one big block. That truly does help me understand this world a little bit more, and definitely helps me make sense of this life as well.

I wonder how your sister responded when you "sort of" talked to her about the incident... I know you say that you're uncomfortable with intimacy, but if you'd like to share, I'm sure we'd all like to listen and support you in any way that we can.

And this forum/chat room is a great support group - I'm glad you're here. :-)

Return to “Your Story”