The Future is Scary

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

LittleThings

The Future is Scary

Postby LittleThings » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:00 am

It really is when I think about it. I always wonder what will become of me so many years down the line. What will happen to me, will I be able to live comfortably? Will I be a productive member of society? It seems like I'm spinning my wheels here, like what I'm doing now won't lead to anything. Life left me behind while those around me developed meaningful relationships while I haven't as so much held hands with someone. I've felt like an outcast most of my life, never finding a place to belong. I work to busy myself and keep my negative thoughts at bay, but am I even able to have a happy relationship? I've been alone for so long that I don't think I could share my life with someone else at this point. I avoid places with lots of people because of my introversion and anxiety. Even around those I know I just don't feel comfortable. People say that you'll meet the right one eventually when you least expect it, but I don't believe any of it. They only say that out of pity. I don't want pity. Another year has come and gone, and I continue to feel lost. Solitude is my haven and my prison.

cg3-nikki

Re: The Future is Scary

Postby cg3-nikki » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi there,

I worry about being a productive member of society, too. I am going to say that we can be. It is possible.

Life left me behind also. We're all different. It's ok to take different lengths of time to do things. Do you know that I finally learned how to make fluffy scrambled eggs this month that are completely cooked?? (& I'm in my 30s.... You don't know how proud & glad I am that I didn't go to my grave cooking hard, tough scrambled eggs, as frivolous as that may sound!)

Do those people who flourish around you deal with what you are dealing with now? Either way, the comparison is moot. You're you. I'm me. I doubt our experiences are exactly the same & occurred at the same time, in the same order, & in the same way.

I do very much feel like I'm an outcast as well. It tends to be hard to connect with others overall because I'm looking for genuine & non-judgmental people. I like deep convos, but not everyone likes that. It's ok.

Let's focus on the present. The present is the future over which we're both worried. I have managed to stop worrying about it because doing so will probably prevent me from actually getting anything done, which will lead to more worry or depression.

I don't know the people who talked about meeting that special someone when you least expect it. Instead of it being pity, maybe it is encouragement?? It can happen so please don't give up yet.

It happened for me; crowds make me anxious. I met him just a few months ago in the middle of the flipping street of all places with my parents standing on both sides of me. I'm not sure that's really the way you imagine meeting the person. All of us were holding a convo in the middle of the street--you know, where you can be run over by cars....

Now guess what? He already has someone, & I get the feeling that I make him uncomfortable, even though that isn't my intent. I do not believe in something that he believes, & it is very important to him that it cannot be overcome. He encourages me to believe this particular thing, but he doesn't understand what I have suffered, due to that belief.

I'd like to think that there will be someone else. =)

I met this pregnant lady at the Doctor's office a week ago. She had wanted a baby & somehow it didn't seem like it ever would happen. Here's what she said about it: "I decided if happens, fine & if it doesn't happen, fine."

Let's hang in there. We'll get there eventually.

Life_Hope_Love

Re: The Future is Scary

Postby Life_Hope_Love » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Dear LittleThings,
I know the future can be scary sometimes for all of us. I think you're really brave for admitting these tough feelings. When you look back I bet there are many things you overcame and brought you to where you are, and little by little the good choices you make will help build a good future for you. I think you're making some really healthy choices by reflecting and being honest with yourself about your fears and what you want. Keep it up, there's hope for a good future for you :)

Return to “Your Story”