Intro

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

doylenateur

Intro

Postby doylenateur » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:43 pm

I have no idea whether this will help at all. But it might be a good place to put things down where maybe someone has some insight.

I have been struggling with depression for over 20 years. I don't think there is any way that this will end. I am in my mid-sixties, male, and married. I have, in the past, used medication to get through the worst of it, but I have not used medication for the past 3 1/2 years. I went off the medication, gradually (as my psychiatrist advised, though he advised against going off at all.) My spouse, unfortunately, thinks of my depression the way she thinks of Santa Claus, so medication causes at least as much difficulty as it solves.

This time of year is extremely difficult for me. If there was a way that I could hibernate until after New Years, I would. The whole season is despicable to me.

I know that women suffer more from depression than men, statistically, and I would never downplay the struggles of women with depression. However, for men, if you try to disclose this to anyone, more often than not, the word "depression" translates as "self pity".

I have nowhere to go with this.

JonsDragonEyes

Re: Intro

Postby JonsDragonEyes » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:37 pm

Welcome to the forums. I hope with all of my heart that coming here is some comfort to you.

I don't think it's fair at all for the world to think that men can't hurt or suffer just as much as women do. Your feelings are just as valid as any woman's. To me you are as strong and as wonderful and amazing as anyone else could be. The people who judge you have never stood in our shoes and had to take the harsh pain and suffering that depression gives us. They are clueless. We are all TRUE warriors even if others are too blind to see that. And that makes you pretty equal to me.

I hope that you like this place.

Take Care to you always
Love & Hugs

Oh, and by the way my name is Star like a star in the night sky and I am in fact a woman.

DiegoArgentina92

Re: Intro

Postby DiegoArgentina92 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi there.

Well, dont got much hows your depression for you, hope you know why you feel like this.

And advices, dont know... therapy maybe ? i mean ,at least to have someone that really focus in what you needing.

But, dont know, dont know whats the problem you are having on mind... if its a problem that cant be resolved, i can understand how tough can be.

But if you think its something that you can change, think on that. At least you have a wife, hope you have a good relationship with her, maybe she cant understand this problem you have, but maybe she still can give you support

Dont know, dont know what you need... good luck.

Return to “Your Story”