Depression saps the divine light out of our lives

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Omniverse

Depression saps the divine light out of our lives

Postby Omniverse » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:08 am

I am going to express what's on my mind in regards to how I see a depressed life. I will present it in the form of a hypothesis/philosophy as well as a brief explanation:

Hypothesis/Philosophy: Our good moods/feelings (which I define as the states of well being induced by the various feel-good neurotransmitters/chemicals in the brain) are the only things that can give our lives a real perceptual quality (experience) of good value, worth, joy, beauty, love, inspiration, and happiness. A person cannot become perceptually aware of these qualities without his/her good moods/feelings since, again, our good moods/feelings are the perceptual awareness of these qualities. You could, in a way, consider our good moods/feelings to be a divine spiritual light to our lives, so to speak. This divine light engulfs us and puts us in a divine state of awareness where we become truly aware of all those aforementioned qualities.

But when this divine state of conscious awareness is taken away from us, we can no longer experience (become aware) of these qualities of good value, worth, joy, beauty, and happiness in our lives. Now, when I say that these good moods/feelings sustain this perceptual quality of good value/worth in our lives, this perceptual quality is not a thought/outlook at all. As I said before, thoughts/outlooks alone do not give us this perceptual quality in our lives. This means that our good moods/feelings do not have some sort of mind control effect where they force us to perceive through our thinking that our lives have good value/worth to us. Rather, the good moods/feelings themselves are an actual awareness of good value/worth in our lives. Like I said earlier, I metaphorically described it as some sort of divine transcended awareness. When I say awareness, I mean something like sight. Sight is the perceptual awareness of visualizing objects just as how our good moods/feelings are the perceptual awareness of good value/worth in our lives.

Brief Explanation: You see, I do not have these happy chemicals at all during my moments of traumatic induced misery/despair. Nothing I do can produce even the smallest amount of these happy chemicals. This is because my brain is in a completely traumatized state and, thus, all these chemicals are turned off. It is only once I reach a state of full recovery that these chemicals get turned back on, restoring my perceptual experience of good value, worth, joy, and beauty back into my life again. That is where my whole theory/philosophy was getting at. I was saying that it can only be the good moods/feelings (the happy chemical induced states of well being) that can give our lives the perceptual quality of good value/worth. But many people out there say you don't need these happy chemicals and that there are other ways to perceive your life as having good value/worth and happiness to you anyway. Like I said, I disagree with this perceptual standard of good value/worth and happiness. I think it is fake and doesn't give a person's life any real perceptual experience of good value/worth. I instead agree with the "divine light" standard I talked about above (i.e. the good mood/feeling standard).

Thinking and believing that you can see the good value/worth in your life is not the same thing as actually seeing it just as how a blind person thinking and believing he/she can see is not the same thing as actual sight. You need actual sight to see just as how you need your good moods/feelings to truly see the good value/worth in your life. Everything in my life is completely dead, miserable, the worst hell, and insignificant in these miserable states. I do not agree that this is simply a matter of value judgment on my part judging this miserable life as hell, lacking of good value/worth, etc. I truly think it is the feel-good chemicals being restored and my misery recovering that restores my perceptual experience of good value, worth, and happiness in my life just as how a blind person is able to recover and see again. There are, for example, people who have taken antidepressants which have completely wiped out these chemicals. They report that they are in a completely blank state as though a hard drive has been completely wiped clean. From there, friends, family, and others would just give the recommendation to this person that he/she can still perceive good value/worth in his/her life through making the best of things anyway and through judging his/her life as good/worthwhile to him/her anyway. I disagree with this. I think it is all a lie and that we truly need our good moods/feelings.

Return to “Your Story”