confused

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

ladybird

confused

Postby ladybird » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:29 am

Hello everyone! Today is one of those down days. One of those days when you feel so horribly lonely, so disgustingly inadequate, like such a failure in every way that you would really love to be dead, although you wouldn't because you're too afraid...I came on here hoping to find some solace...and it's really lovely and comforting to see people sharing their stories and trying to help one another. I came out of a physically abusive relationship a few months ago...We were together three years...since then I have been trying to put my life back together...I am not really sure if I have a story though as I think I was depressed even before I was with that guy and I can't think of any reason for that. I feel pretty down most days, and I'm not really sure why...it is often triggered by very minor incidents. I'm just oversensitive and pathetic I suppose. I have been trying to lead a healthy lifestyle for the past few months, eating well, sleeping, exercising...I just wish I could figure out why I feel so awful and stop thinking negatively. Does anyone else feel like this? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for reading my post! I send everyone much love and a big hug

hey-its-ok

Postby hey-its-ok » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:13 pm

(((((((((ladybird))))))))))

Hi Ladybird, welcome to this forum. Its nice to have you on board 8) Depression can be (doesn't have to be) a condition where there is an imbalance in the chemicals in the brain (e.g. serotonin). So when you feel depressed and you have no idea why, if it is not due to an external factor that makes you depressed, it MAY be a result of an abnormal imbalance of the chemicals in your brain. I hope you feel better soon. Since you asked for some suggestions as to why you feel this way, one reason would be what i explained above. If you'd like to know a little bit more about serotonin, i've extracted one paragraph from the WEBMD web site for you to have a read:

-----------------
4. What is the link between serotonin and depression?
There are many researchers who believe that an imbalance in serotonin levels may influence mood in a way that leads to depression. Possible problems include low brain cell production of serotonin, a lack of receptor sites able to receive the serotonin that is made, inability of serotonin to reach the receptor sites, or a shortage in tryptophan, the chemical from which serotonin is made. If any of these biochemical glitches occur, researchers believe it can lead to depression, as well as obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety, panic, and even excess anger.
-----------------
If you'd like to read more, the above quotation can be found here:

http://www.webmd.com/depression/feature ... nd-answers

There is another interesting article (that says virtually the same thing as the above) from this web site:

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/n ... b3/Ho.html

Hope this helps you, all the best Ladybird, let us know how you are going. :D

ladybird

Postby ladybird » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:45 pm

Thank you, that sounds really interesting! :lol:

flojo

Postby flojo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:04 pm

I'm gonna have to look into those articles if for nothing else than to satisfy serendipity.... just this morning i read about serotonin on the Biggest Loser website:
Truths and Myths section - http://www.nbc.com/The_Biggest_Loser/exclusives/resources/truths_myths/

It says "(Carbohydrates) help your brain produce serotonin, a "feel good" chemical that enhances our mood. Many people crave carbohydrates when they feel stressed, which leads them to believe they are 'addicted'. It's natural to crave carbs in order to make yourself feel better."

No wonder I used to eat a hundred cookies when i was depressed....

ladybird

Postby ladybird » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:51 am

haha, me too...but is it really the carbohydrates, or is it the sugar?

flojo

Postby flojo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:45 pm

I think sugar is a carbohydrate
;-) :lol:

hey-its-ok

Postby hey-its-ok » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:00 pm

if i remember correctly... sugar is called simple carbohydrates cos its quick action, it gets absorbed into your system quickly, rice is called complex carbohydrates cos its slow release, it gets absorbed into your system slowly...

ladybird

Postby ladybird » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:32 pm

O yeah! silly me!

cat

Postby cat » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:22 pm

Finally and explaination for my chocolate habit!

JudeB

chocolate cat

Postby JudeB » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:14 pm

Hey cat,

None of that stuff matters....

chocolate is addictive because of the TASTE!

Oh my......I want some chocolate now.

:oops:

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:17 am

mmmmmmmmmm chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warmie 8)

Return to “Your Story”