Citalopram (Celexa) 10mg, not a therapeutic dose

Information about depression and other related health issues (includes medications).

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

dziga

Citalopram (Celexa) 10mg, not a therapeutic dose

Postby dziga » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:38 am

Hi, I have just spoken to occupational health who have told me that 10mg of Citalopram is not a therapeutic dose - has anyone come across this before? :-/

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:02 am

The normal daily dosage of citalopram for depression ranges from 20–60 mg. The initial dosage is usually 20 mg per day. This dosage may then be increased to 40 mg per day at an interval of no less than one week. Most patients experience relief from depression at this dosage and do not require more than 40 mg per day. The dosage is taken once daily, either in the morning or in the evening. Patients who are being treated for panic disorder receive doses ranging from 20–60 mg daily. A dosage of 20–30 mg daily appears to be optimal for the treatment of most panic disorders.

Your doctor may prescribe a lower dose at the beginning in order to test for side affects or other interactions if you are on other medications.

It's always best to talk to your doctor and ask why such a low dose.

keluca

Postby keluca » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:17 am

It does sound quite a low dose, but the dr may just be starting you on a low dose to see how you react and get your body used to it first hoping that it will stem any side effects that may have happened on a larger dose before increasing the dose.

Like Obayan said the dr would be the best person to ask why a low dose :)

Hope the meds go well for you

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:07 am

You could also ask the pharmacist but still, best bet would be to call up your doc and ask why.

dziga

Postby dziga » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:58 am

Thanks for all your replies - I certainly will speak to the Dr...I was on the same dose for about a year before which I am now thinking is perhaps unusual :-/

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:44 pm

(((((((((((((( dziga )))))))))))

Glad there were answers for you. Good luck talking with the doctor.

kgknight

Celexa

Postby kgknight » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:33 pm

40mgs a day is good for me, I only take it at 10pm though. 20mgs didn't have a noticeable effect, so my Dr increased it to 40 thats good enough.

jay-o

Postby jay-o » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:25 am

Hi, I'm 11 days into taking my 20mg Citalopram tablets. My usual daily pattern has been to wake up with anxiety after about 3 - 5 hours sleep, toss and turn for another couple of hours, before getting up, having my breakfast, then my tablet at about 8. As the day goes on I generally feel better. Is this the Citalopram kicking in?
This morning after my usual 2 hours of tossing and turning I started crying, so had my tablet earlier. Do they have an instant effect after taking one? Should I just take my first one earlier to kick start my day a bit better? Any thoughts would be appreciated guys, thanks.

aenasmith

Postby aenasmith » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:04 am

From my point of view taking medicine for depression. Try to take minimum amount of medicines because they can make you habituated. This tablet for which you have a confusion you can take it as per the doctor's prescription but don't take it by yourself.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:42 pm

((((((((((( jay-o))))))))))))))) ((((((((((((( aenasmith ))))))))))))))

Under a doctor's watchful care. Stay safe.

Agree with aenasmith.

Warmie

Return to “Articles and Essays | Medications: Experiences and Advice”