Self-help books?

Information about depression and other related health issues (includes medications).

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Monty

Self-help books?

Postby Monty » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:05 pm

I have had depression for many years. For a lot of that time when I was ill things seemed to be so bad that I wasn't able to do my favorite hobby, reading. I either wasn't strong enough to sit up and read, or my memory was so faulty that I couldn't remember the story one page to the next.

The last post I did was what I thought about the book the "Noonday Demon". I mentioned in that post that I find that the self'help books, really didn't help me too much.

It seems that to read books about the experiences of others, who have actually experienced depression, rather than those that just write from the outside looking in, has helped me the most over the years.

The Noonday Demon is a favorite.

Another one is "On the Edge of Darkness" by Kathy Kronkite.
She writes another compliation, of the experiences of depression that some "celebrities" have had.
Granted this book is older, but like the book says.
"It doesn't matter whether you are looking at the walls in a house in Malibu or facing the gray walls of the street, depression is the great equalizer"

Found it helpful. I like going to the library to find these books, then if I really like them look in a used bookstore. Until then just keep borrowing them from the library.

Take care

usatrooper

A Good Book I Read

Postby usatrooper » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:28 am

Feeling Good by David Burns. He gets into some CBT stuff in the book, and kind of teaches you how to think differently. Kind of helped me a little bit. I read it again sometimes as a refresher when I start feeling down.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:40 am

(((((((((((((((( usatrooper )))))))))))))))

Isn't that the book that the chatter 'snaglepus' talks about in the chat room? I think it is and he swears by it.

Thinking I need to find and buy that book and see for myself.

Thanks for your post.

Warmie/Jeanie13

Jaymn

Postby Jaymn » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:56 am

I have that Feeling Good book too. I haven't read much of it though.
I would recommend any self help books by Mary Ellen Copeland. She has been through depression & helped herself get well. She is the creator of W.R.A.P.- Wellness Recovery Action Plan. You can get this book on her site or there might be some depression groups in your area that do this program. That is my favorite one.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:16 am

((((((((((( Jaymn ))))))))))))))

Warmie

CitM

Postby CitM » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:37 pm

I really liked the book "How to get things done when you are depressed" I forgot the Author's name, but talk about inspiring right from the title!! My first reaction was, you mean I can be depressed and still get things done!!

It really started to help me.

I also picked up a book called 'The Depression Cure' and have already changed my diet a bit. I'm also reading "How to cure PTSD" and the reason is that when you are depressed and your life feels like it is falling apart, and in some cases it is, this helps get over past traumas.

Sometimes being depressed is a traumatic experience in and of itself and I think medical science overlooks that part of it. Happy reading, and thank you for the suggestions on good books.

lalela

Postby lalela » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:05 am

Hello
I can tell you a book. It is said "Psychological techniques for self-help and lifestyle advices".
The author is a Bulgarian and had very severe form depression. But he has succeeded to cope this. And created a self-help techniques with great success.
Now he wrote this book that I really liked and affects me and my treatment. Now he wrote this book, which I liked a lot and helps me for treatment.

Postscript:
I found it accidentally while surfing the Internet, but worth it.

Return to “Articles and Essays | Medications: Experiences and Advice”