Crohn's Disease and depression medications

Information about depression and other related health issues (includes medications).

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

paulapjseven

Crohn's Disease and depression medications

Postby paulapjseven » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:50 pm

Does anyone on here have Crohn's disease along with depression? Just curious. I am currently in need of finding out what antidepressants do not aggravate the excruciating pain of Crohn's Disease.
I learned recently that depression is one of the many complications of this terrible disease.
If anyone is willing to share this information, I would really appreciate your input. I have tried paxil, carbamazepine, wellbutrin and effexor so far and can't take any of those.
Thanks

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:06 pm

I think the best person to talk to would be a pharmacist. They know more than even the doctors do on what meds interact with what.

paulapjseven

Postby paulapjseven » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Oh, really? I never thought of asking my pharmacist, I will do that. Thank you.

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:46 pm

np hon. sometimes the docs don't keep as up on the meds as they should. but for a pharmacist they have to.

paulapjseven

Postby paulapjseven » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:58 pm

Oh, I see. I don't know why, but I never even thought about asking them-good point. Thank you.

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:23 pm

I hope you recieved some help sweetie. Did talking to the pharmacist help at all? If not, I can try and do some research on it for you if you wish.

paulapjseven

Postby paulapjseven » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:44 pm

No, I haven't seen the pharmacist that I usually talk to there the last couple of times I've been. There are some others there, but none I really feel comfortable asking. If you're willing to look into it, that would be great. I have trouble talking with people that I don't know well. thank you so much.

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:40 pm

If your depression is not relieved by therapy and other lifestyle changes, your doctor may prescribe an antidepressant like sertraline (Zoloft) or fluoxetine (Prozac). Since medications are usually an important part of managing Crohn’s disease, make sure you discuss any antidepressants you're prescribed with your gastroenterologist as well. This will prevent negative interactions with your Crohn’s medications. A mental health practitioner who is not an MD may not know how a new drug will affect your Crohn’s medications, but your gastroenterologist will. Treating depression in people with Crohn’s disease is especially important. “Depression wreaks havoc on our immune system," says Sileo. "Because Crohn’s is an immune-system disease, treatment of depression is very important to avoid overtaxing an already compromised immune system.”

Staying mentally and emotionally healthy are important elements of managing your Crohn’s disease, so take the steps needed to take care of your emotional well-being, just as you do your body.

That's the best i could find hon. It didn't go into specific medications but it did say to talk to your gastroenterologist. They would know more about it.

paulapjseven

Postby paulapjseven » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:45 pm

So maybe I should ask my gastroenterologist if he can either prescribe an antidepressant or at least work with my primary card doctor in finding the right one. Right now I am taking only a low dose of paxil, an add-on was recently stopped because of bad side effects. I really feel awful tonight, not to complain or anything.

Thank you for looking that up for me.

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:22 pm

No problem sweetie. I'm sorry you aren't doing well tonight.

Return to “Articles and Essays | Medications: Experiences and Advice”