Help with returning to work

Information about depression and other related health issues (includes medications).

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

SecretAgentMan

Help with returning to work

Postby SecretAgentMan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:13 am

Hello,

I'm not sure whether or not I'm in the right place, however I thought I might try my luck after being directed here from the online chatroom #Depression.

I've been off work for about 2 years (self-imposed) while dealing with depression and anxiety. I still have these ailments to work through however I have not been receiving any professional help or medication - mostly just self-medicating.

I really would like to improve my life and get this depression/anxiety sorted out, however I need an income. I'm capable, however my resume has so many large gaps in it, it seems to work against me rather than for me. Being dishonest on it doesn't seem to help either as I'm overcome with anxiety in the interview on the occasions I can bring myself to show up.

I was hoping someone might be able to advise me of the appropriate channels to go through, so as to find assistance with finding work after being absent for so long.

Any advice / accounts of personal experience in a similar vein would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:56 am

one.... it's never a good idea to self diagnose. There are so many different possibilities out there and the symptoms overlap so drastically, it realy does take a trained professional to accurately diagnose you. Once you get the diagnosis, then you can begin the fight against it and have more possitive success.

two... even worse idea to self medicate. It is dangerous. We each have a different physiology and therefore will react to the same things differently. It takes a trained professional to find the right medication/doseage/combination to fit our specific needs.

three... you can go to the unemployment agency and request help with finding employment. They will test you, listen to you and help you to find employment in your area.

good luck

lalela

Postby lalela » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:38 am

Hi, very interesting question?
Depression comes from your lifestyle, it does not come from nowhere.
I can give you a tip I learned from a book written by guy had the same problems.
Quote from the book:
"If you feel depressed, but you have goals to reach, think about how the time is ticking away and if you keep losing it, you might never achieve your plans. Try to realize that if you don't pull yourself together and fight off depression, you will lose your chance to feel satisfied of reaching your goals because life is running."
Nobody is immune from such behavior that can happen and most powerful people.
There are many other tips that can help you gain self-confidence.

Return to “Articles and Essays | Medications: Experiences and Advice”