Nardil

Information about depression and other related health issues (includes medications).

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Jaymn

Nardil

Postby Jaymn » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:13 pm

My doc. has given me the option to take this med; a MAOI. What I'm concerned about is all of the foods that you can't eat with this. You can't eat foods with high or EVEN low Tyramine. That basically is most cheeses, meats, and some fruits.
Nothing else has helped, and he is considering this MAOI for me. I guess this would be a good reason for me to go vegetarian. :roll: I really don't want to try it, but it could help since no SSRI's ever have. I just don't know right now. I have a little over a week to decide. Has anyone benefited from taking Nardil? Has anyone taken it on here? What is your diet like? All info would be appreciated.
Last edited by Jaymn on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monty

Postby Monty » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:19 pm

Hi,

It seemed difficult for my psychiatrist to find a drug that was effective for my depression. An MAOI was suggested for me to try.

It concerned me the things that I couldn't eat. I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it but figured it was worth a try.

I did try it for a while. Like most of the drugs that I have tried, for me it didn't work. That was the reason that I stopped. I got used to the food restrictions, though I admit it wasn't easy because the list is quite comprehensive.

Hope that helps.

Jaymn

Postby Jaymn » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanks for the post.
It is worth a try to me too. After I spoke to my therapist today; he said that I could try it for however long it's supposed to work. Then, if it doesn't, I can come off of it. I'm not too worried about what I can't eat. I really don't eat most of that stuff anyway. I'm about 75% sure I'm going to take it now. :)

Jaymn

Postby Jaymn » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:43 pm

I'm going to give it a try. Has anyone else taken this med? Your input would be appreciated.

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:39 am

PHENELZINE (FEN el zeen) is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI). It is used to treat depression in patients who may also have anxiety. This medicine is usually only used when other medicines have not helped.

Your doctor will need to know if you have any of these conditions:
•bipolar disorder or mania
•frequently drink alcohol-containing beverages
•headaches or migraine
•heart or blood vessel disease, or irregular heart beats
•high blood pressure
•kidney disease
•liver disease
•Parkinson's disease
•pheochromocytoma
•recent head trauma
•seizures or convulsions
•schizophrenia or psychosis
•stroke or other cerebrovascular disease
•suicidal thoughts or a previous suicide attempt
•an unusual or allergic reaction to phenelzine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
•pregnant or trying to get pregnant
•breast-feeding

ALWAYS follow doctors orders but it is advisable to take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.

A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.

Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. It can take up to 3 to 6 weeks to see the full effects of this medicine. Do not suddenly stop taking your medicine. This may make your condition worse or cause withdrawal symptoms. Ask your doctor or health care professional for advice about gradually reducing your dosage. Even after you stop taking this medicine the effects can last for at least two weeks.

This is just a general guide I found by googling the name of the med. ALWAYS talk to your doctor and pharmacist and get clear and precise instructions. Don't even take over the counter meds without talking to your pharmacist or doctor first due to the risk of the meds interacting in a negative way.

Jaymn

Postby Jaymn » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:30 am

Thanks for the info. I have none of those conditions. I'm glad. We will talk about it extensively when I go back. He will have to take me off a SSRI when we start the Nardil. I hope it works. Wish me luck everyone that it'll work.
I didn't know it helped anxiety too. This could hit 2 birds with one stone. Not literally though. :wink:

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:27 am

(((((((((((((((((( Jaymn ))))))))))))))))))

Diets can be hard. I am a diabetic and that diet is, I have found out, good for so many things. With other conditions I deal with my diet is crazy. One issue I deal with, I shouldn't eat meat, another issue I shouldn't eat certain vegetables. LOL a 'catch 22', sort of.

Check out what foods it says you CAN eat, with this medication, ask the doctor for some kind of menu for you to go by. It is rough having to change your eating habits, but it is do-able. Especially if the medication helps you.

Don't be shy in talking to the doctor, he will surely have information to give you, to get you started. LOL my doctors have found out I ask many questions, if I don't, who will? See my point.

Take care, please.

Warmie

Jaymn

Postby Jaymn » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:25 am

Good idea! I will ask him that tomorrow. I usually write my questions down, and give them to him because I have so many. That one I would of missed. Thanks!

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:55 am

((((((((((((((( Jaymn )))))))))))))

Sure the doctor appreciates your writing things down, mine does. Only way to get answers is ask. WTG

Warmie

Jaymn

Postby Jaymn » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:36 am

Well, I went to the doctor yesterday. I'm going to start the Nardil in a month. I have to get off of my SSRI first; then, I'll start taking it. I could start my new diet sooner so I can get used to it. Before I do it, I'm going to eat as much as I can. lol I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.
Thanks Obayan and Warmsoul for your help and hugs. :)

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:34 am

((((((((((((((( Jaymn )))))))))))))))))

Good luck hon, and eat some ice cream for me, your choice! With lots of toppings. :wink:

Warmie

Jaymn

Postby Jaymn » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:46 am

haha ok. I'm fully off of my Luvox as of today. I have two more weeks till I start the Nardil. I haven't had too many affects of going off the meds. I'm thinking now, did that med actually help. I don't know but I hope the new one does. That's all that matters now.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:27 am

(((((((((((((((((((( Jaymn ))))))))))))))))))))

Good luck hon, please keep us updated!

Warmie

Jaymn

Postby Jaymn » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:46 am

I've been off the Luvox for about 1 week now after two weeks of tapering off. The past 3 days I've been very dizzy. I don't know if it's from the Med. It could be various things: Low Blood pressure, too much salt, dehydration, and/or anxiety. Something is doing it but i'm going to call my Psychiatrist Monday morning and see what is happening and what I can do about it. Then I'll probably go to my regular doc to get my blood pressure checked and blood tests.
I want something to happen now, but I only got less than 2 weeks till I get on the Nardil. I can make it I think.

Jaymn

Postby Jaymn » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:50 am

Well I started my Nardil today finally after 6 weeks. Hopefully It will work because i've been feeling like crap after I went off the Luvox. That's all the updates I have for now.

Return to “Articles and Essays | Medications: Experiences and Advice”